Neurology Culminating Task
Prompt: You are a neurologist presented with a patient
exhibiting unique neurological symptoms. Part of your role as a doctor
is to communicate in common language to your patient. You must recognize,
analyze, and articulate the medical terminology related to your patient's
condition. A poster presentation will need to be developed to present
the conditions to your colleagues and the general public.
1) Role: You are a neurologist
2) Access: Given symptoms of neurological conditions you/group will
research utilizing library, Internet, textbooks, doctor, etc.
3) Given the neurological scenario, groups will analyze, solve, and
articulate the condition.
4) Production: A poster will be developed to communicate the condition
to colleagues and the general public.
5) Presentation: Groups will present diagnosis and condition utilizing
poster and other media.
6) Standards Addressed: Physiology Standards 9b, d, e.
b. Students know how the nervous system mediates communication between
different parts of the body and the body's interactions with the environment.
d. Students know the functions of the nervous system and the role of
neurons in transmitting electrochemical impulses.
e. Students know the roles of sensory neurons, interneuron's, and motor
neurons in sensation, thought, and response.
Product: Diagnosed Neurological Condition Poster Project
What must a top quality product include?
1) Title of diagnosed condition
2) Diagnosis section
3) Cause section
4) Symptom section
5) Possible treatment section
6) Literature cited section
7) Illustrations and/or graphs/tables for each section
8) Each illustration/graph/table explained in captions.
9) Appropriate font size
10) Poster stands alone
11) Minimum of 5 medical terms
12) Common language utilized to explain each section.
A rubric will be designed to evaluate the poster product.
MILESTONE CHECKLIST (students)
1) Pull example off of the internet or library retrieval
2) Literature with symptoms
3) Internet sites/literature from sites
4) Proof of library/abstracts
5) Clear information/definitions of medical terminology
6) Student explains how information is accessed
Example Rubric Criteria for Poster Project
An "A" Poster Project
· Title of condition
· Literature cited/references (minimum
· All sections represented (diagnosis,
causes, symptoms, possible treatments/therapies/cures)
· Standard poster board
· Font size
· Appropriate illustrations/graphs/tables
for each section covered
· Poster stands alone without verbal explanation
· Clear evidence of sequencing (definition/symptoms/diagnosis/possible
Example Rubric Criteria for Dissemination An "A" Presentation
· Clear and concise report on the given
· Establishes and maintains a rapport
with the audience
· Informational handouts that reflect
sections on the poster
· Use of technology such as the computer,
laser disc, video…
· Full group participation (teacher evaluation
and group evaluation)
Sites and Sources
10) Principles of Neural Science 4th edition Kandal, Schwartz, and Jessel.
* Part of this lesson format was a template designed by Action Learning
Example Neural Conditions
1) Alzheimer's Disease/Dementia
2) Color Blindness (retinal or cerebral)
4) Sleeping Disorders
7) Myasthenia Gravis
8) Muscular Dystrophy
9) Huntington Disease….
Each group/individual (depends on classroom organization) will be
given a scenario that matches one of these given conditions. The group
will research and construct a poster and present using the previous