list of lesson plans
The Arizona Hedgehog
Endangered Species or not?
Master Materials List
- Class Internet access or single computer with projection screen
- Slides of the Arizona Hedgehog and related varieties
- Student copies of "Investigation of the Problem".
- Student copies of "Classification of Echinocereus triglochidiatus
and Geographical Ranges of its Varieties".
- Student copies of "Chemical Detectives: How to Find and Isolate
- Student copies of "DNA Isolation from Plant Tissue"
- Plant tissue such as pea or Desert Spoon
- Coffee grinders
- Dry ice
- 50-ml conical polypropylene or glass tubes
- Hot water bath at 60°C
- CTAB buffer (available from research lab)
- Fume hood (or well-ventilated area)
- Ice-cold isopropanol
- Student copies of "Isolation of DNA from Plant Tissue"
- Overhead transparency diagrams of PCR and amplification with single-
sequence 10-bp primers
- Student copies of background reading "The Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Student copies of "Polymerase Chain Reaction Amplification of
- Campus playing field, gym or large classroom
- Old tires, cones, desks, chairs, etc.
- Candy (reward)
- Overhead transparency of "A DNA Agarose Gel"
- Student copies of "Gel Electrophoresis and Analysis"
- 100X electrophoresis buffer stock
- Deionized water
- 100 ml and 1000 ml graduated cylinders
- Methylene blue dye or ethidium bromide
- Centrigram balance
- Large test tubes
- Gel casting trays with combs (and glass plates if necessary)
- Masking tape
- Plastic pipets
- Boiling water bath
- Light box for viewing gels
- Polaroid camera and film
- Student copies of "Publication of Procedure and Results"
- Student copies of "Evaluating the Relationship of Autumn Buttercup
to Some Close Congeners Using Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA"