Gel Electrophoresis and Analysis - Lab Sheet
Assignment: After participating in the classroom dramatization of the process of gel electrophoresis and the post-activity discussion, answer the following questions.
1. What is the function of each of the following in gel electrophoresis of DNA?
2. Toward which pole (positive or negative) does DNA migrate
when electric current is run through the gel? _____________ Why do the DNA molecules
move toward this pole?
3. What would happen to the DNA fragments if you forgot to turn
the current off?
4. Describe how different sized DNA fragments are separated
by the gel matrix.
5. Examine the diagram of an agarose gel below and answer the following questions.